The Milton Resnick and Pat Passlof Foundation
This historic building houses the foundation established with the bequests of the renowned husband and wife painters Milton Resnick (1917-2004) and Pat Passlof (1928-2011), who both lived and worked in the building at various times during their long, prolific careers.
The building was originally constructed as a tenement then later became a synagogue; large ornamental religious windows and exterior carved rosettes from this period still survive along with a facade inscription of the synagogue’s name and date of conversion.
The double-height space that first served as the sanctuary and later a painting studio, now accommodates exhibitions of the founding artists’ works along with those of contemporary painters inspired by Resnick and Passlof. There are additional exhibition spaces in the five-story building along with administrative offices, archives, support spaces and storage. A feature of the project is a small studio space carefully preserved as it was left upon Resnick’s death in 2004.